Athletes, Anger and Activism: How George Floyd Has Changed Sports
The death of George Floyd at the hands of a Minneapolis police officer has spurred an outpouring of grief and anger across the sports world...and incited a conversation about race, power and privilege. Comments made by Drew Brees and others have been met with backlash from athletes, and the players everywhere are demanding their voices be heard. Bomani Jones joins the show to discuss a week in sports that felt historic, even if few games were actually played. Then, ESPN basketball reporter and Minneapolis native Myron Medcalf reflects on the devastation in his hometown.
Let's Get Goin'
Now that the NBA officially plans to resume its regular season at Disney World at the end of July, Brian Windhorst, Jackie MacMullan and Tim MacMahon try to answer looming questions about the Disney complex, hotel accommodations, coronavirus testing, playoff seeding plans, the TV programming schedule, the loss of home court advantage and more.
Most Recent Podcasts
It's An Important Conversation, I'm Glad We're Having It
Stugotz listens to ESPN Radio staffers Roy, Cliff, Shannon, and Terrika talk about the emotions they've felt over the past few weeks, months, and years when it comes to being black in America. They also discuss what it's like to deal with law enforcement, the extra steps they take in raising their children, and what white privilege actually is. It really is an important conversation and we're glad we had it. Now we hope that everyone listens.
- Spend your afternoon with Jalen & Jacoby as they discuss the role athletes play in social justice as protests spread in the wake of George Floyds death.
- Atlanta's Lloyd Pierce and Utah's Quin Snyder join The Woj Pod to discuss the NBA coach's association response and plan of action in the wake of continued racial injustices, Pierce's leadership in the civil rights bastion of Atlanta, Snyder on the responsibility of white coaches to impact change, and much more.
- Michael Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser discuss the various protests over the weekend, Lockhart's criticism of the NFL, the MLB season and much more.
- Adam is joined by ESPN's Marcus Spears to talk about what is going on in our country today. (2:22) Then, Adam talks with the NFL's Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Allen Sills, who says he is absolutely optimistic we will be playing football in 2020. (29:30)
- Rachel Nichols, Kendrick Perkins and Brian Windhorst discuss the NBA world reacting to the nationwide protests and activism. Plus, a conversation with Hawks' coach Lloyd Pierce and more NBA topics.
FIND YOUR FAVORITE PODCAST
ESPN Originals30 for 30
Answering The Bell
Ariel Helwani's MMA Show
Around the Rim
Baseball Tonight with Buster Olney
Behind the Bets with Doug Kezirian
Brian Windhorst & The Hoop Collective
Cheap Heat with Peter Rosenberg
Courtside with Greenberg & Dakich
Down & Distance
ESPN On Ice with Wyshynski and Kaplan
Fantasy Focus Baseball
Fantasy Focus Football
FiveThirtyEight: Hot Takedown
Jalen & Jacoby - The Aftershow
Laughter Permitted with Julie Foudy
Le Batard & Friends - Mystery Crate
Le Batard & Friends - South Beach Sessions
Le Batard & Friends - STUpodity
Marty Smith's America The Podcast
Matty & The Caddie
Sorry in Advance...The Golic Family Podcast
Sports? with Katie Nolan
Stanford Steve & The Bear
That's What She Said with Sarah Spain
The Adam Schefter Podcast
The Bill Barnwell Show
The College Football Podcast With Herbie & Pollack
The Lowe Post
The Mina Kimes Show featuring Lenny
The Right Time with Bomani Jones
The Undefeated: Rhoden Fellows
The Woj Pod
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Get the latest updates on Twitter. Follow us.