The father of Chelsea left-back Marcos Alonso says his son must continue to work and be patient in his pursuit of a Spain call-up for the 2018 World Cup.
Alonso has made 28 Premier League starts for Chelsea and is expected to be in Antonio Conte's XI for Wednesday's Champions League round-of-16 return leg at Barcelona.
The 27-year-old played for Spain's under-19 squad but national team coach Julen Lopetegui has continued to omit Alonso from the national team.
"Marcos has to be calm and continue to press on," his father told Cadena Ser radio. "In Spain there are many good players. The national team coach takes the ones he thinks are better for him and we have to accept it.
"My son is working towards trying to go and if it happens, great, and if it doesn't, he will continue to fight to get there. Spain have a great team and are one of the favourites to win the World Cup."
Alonso was a key player for coach Antonio Conte in his first year with the Blues, scoring six goals and setting up three more in 31 league starts to help Chelsea win the Premier League last season.
A youth product of Real Madrid, Alonso's performances in recent campaigns have not gone unnoticed with Marca saying earlier this season: "What does Marcos Alonso have to do more to get a chance to play for Spain?"
Alonso Sr., who played at Atletico Madrid and Barcelona, and earned 22 caps for Spain, says his son has taken the right steps in his career.
"He's chosen wisely," he said. "He really liked the idea of playing in England and went to Bolton, where he improved and learned English. That is what he wanted to do and it was his choice.
"We were then lucky that Fiorentina signed him in 2013 and that's where Marcos really improved a lot in every facet. He did well there. He had offers from Italian clubs to remain but in the end, we decided for him to go to Chelsea.
"He is very happy in London and the Premier League is a wonderful tournament."