Unbeaten KCB retain Kenyan league title

KCB celebrate winning the Kenya Cup. Supplied

KCB retained the Kenya Cup with a nervy 29-24 win over Kabras Sugar at the KCB Sports Club in Ruaraka on Saturday. The result saw the Bankers finish the season unbeaten.

Kabras suffered an early blow when they were reduced to 14 men after Asuman Mugerwa's early sin bin, and the Bankers were soon ahead with a try from Brian Nyikuli from the maul.

KCB were soon penalised for a shoulder charge, and Philip Wokorach kicked a penalty to keep Kabras in touch after 11 minutes of play.

A Mike Wanjala loose pass saw Johnstone Mung'au intercept and score to give Kabras a 8-7 lead, before Coleman Were crossed the line to put the them 13-7 up.

Mukidza spurned a try scoring chance, but the Bankers soon regained the lead after Mukidza converted Peter Kilonzo's try with nine minutes of the half to play. Jacob Ojee then scored in the corner shortly before the break to see KCB take a 19-13 lead into the break.

KCB camped in the Kabras 22 at the start of the second half, but the visitors' were awarded a penalty, which Wokorach drilled home.

From a frenetic period of phase play, KCB would draw a penalty that was duly slotted over by Mukidza halfway through the second half, KCB going 22-16 up.

The response from Kabras was swift, as Wokorach finished off with a five-pointer after the hard work was done by the nippy second-half replacement Nichodemus Barasa.

Replacement Owila would show great presence of mind, catching a dodgy pass, handing off his opponent, riding two tackles to score under the posts. Mukidza with the conversion to give KCB a 29-21 lead.

The Sugardaddies would get a penalty in front of the sticks with eight minutes to play, and Wokorach's kick made it 29-24.

Kabras huffed and puffed, looking for the game levelling try and winning conversion. Felix Ayange spurned a try scoring opportunity at the death, and KCB claimed a sixth Kenya Cup title after wins in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2015 and 2017.