Adelaide, Central Coast advance in FFA Cup

Adelaide United have continued their FFA Cup defence with a 1-0 quarterfinal win against Newcastle, while Central Coast scored a last-gasp knockout of Hume City.

The Reds' victory was sealed by a first-half Al Hassan Toure tap-in on Tuesday night in Adelaide.

But in Melbourne, Central Coast endured a jittery quarterfinal against Victorian Premier League outfit Hume City until a 92nd minute winner from Abraham Majok.

Amid a manic goal-mouth scramble, Majok managed to get his left boot to the ball and it appeared to deflect from a defender's leg and into the net to give the Mariners a 1-0 win.

Wednesday night's quarterfinals pit Brisbane Strikers against Moreland Zebras while Melbourne City host Western Sydney. The semifinal draw will occur afterwards.

- Merrick blasts refs after injury rules Hoolahan out for three months
- Ivory Coast international Traore returns to Victory
- Sources: Wanderers to sign NWSL MVP Williams

While Central Coast struggled, Adelaide advanced with a dominant display against Newcastle.

The cup-holders benefited from two howlers from Jets goalkeepers.

In the 10th minute, keeper Lewis Italiano copped a straight red-card and his replacement Glen Moss embarrassingly let-in Adelaide's opening goal.

Italiano was marched for slight but clumsy leg contact outside of his area on Adelaide's Nikola Mileusnic as the winger chased a Riley McGree through-ball.

Substitute Moss was then peppered by a series of Adelaide shots and withstood until a butter-fingered blunder in the 42nd minute.

United's Ryan Kitto skidded a speculative 20-metre shot which went straight at Moss, who inexplicably failed to control the ball -- it dribbled between his legs and Toure tapped-in.

The 19-year-old Toure, who caught the eye of Adelaide's new coach Gertjan Verbeek by scoring in four consecutive youth team games, was lively throughout the Coopers Stadium fixture.

And United midfielders Nathan Konstandopoulos and McGree also presented in threatening attacking positions though both squandered gilt-edged scoring chances in the first half.

Adelaide substitute Pacifique Niyongabire also blew a one-on-one chance against Moss in the 84th minute when he skied a six-metre shot.

Newcastle's prized signing, Irish international Wes Hoolahan, showed early class on the ball but limped off minutes into the second half after tackling Kitto.

And Jets striker Abdiel Arroyo, who played at last year's World Cup for Panama, was dangerous in flashes.

Arroyo launched three shots but none were on target -- his teammate Dimitri Petratos registered Newcastle's only shot on target for the match.