Neven Subotic hopes to resume training at Borussia Dortmund following surgery in which one of his ribs was removed.
Subotic, 27, was set for a move to Middlesbrough during the summer transfer window but the move fell through after he failed a medical.
After suffering from thrombosis during the run-in to the 2015-16 season, the defender needed to undergo surgery and had a rib removed.
Last month, Subotic said he was confident of returning to the pitch in December, and called his rehab training "kindergarten" compared to the road to his comeback following an anterior cruciate ligament tear sustained in late 2013.
On Tuesday, Subotic announced on Facebook that he hopes to be back in full training with his teammates next month.
"I am delighted to have reached the next-to-last step of my training plan," he said. "Following a medical check-up, I can now train even more intensely. I am back in team training in October."
Although the Serbian defender is under contract at the Westfalenstadion until 2018, it is expected that Subotic will leave Dortmund this winter after eight-and-a-half years and 192 Bundesliga games.