NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Angel Zaldivar was sent off for Mexico's 1-0 loss to the United States on Tuesday and pulled no punches in criticizing the opposition's attitude.
The Chivas forward saw red in the 67th minute, two minutes after 6-foot-4 defender Matt Miazga had appeared to mock 5-5 Mexico forward Diego Lainez about his height.
Miazga was then photographed waving off Zaldivar as he left the field, something which irked the 24-year-old.
"You see what their values are, they don't know how to win," Zaldivar told Univision afterward. "They poked fun, [and] tried to play a dirty game that honestly we don't think is how you should play. That's their game and we couldn't do anything about it."
Mexico coach Ricardo "Tuca" Ferretti suggested that the incident will serve Lainez moving forward.
"The [incident] with the two-meter center-back and the beloved little [Lainez] will be useful to him," said the 64-year-old. "He'll remember it the rest of his life and it'll help him."
Ferretti added that he was disappointed in the loss but confident that the young group of players have a bright future.
"I'm upset, honestly," said Ferretti in the post-match news conference. "I feel bad. But this is about results and performance and I think that a lot of players have made us realize that there is raw material that needs to be polished, molded and given the opportunity it deserves."
Ferretti said that Mexico had been marginally the better side until Zalivar's red card -- which the coach said could've been a yellow -- and that the United States hadn't caused much danger until Tyler Adams' goal in the 71st minute.
"Until the sending off it was a good game from both [teams], with the flow in our favor," stated Ferretti. "If my memory serves me their first chance was the goal and it was one game until the red card. Having a player less is complicated, it happened today and the numeric superiority came into effect."
The current Tigres manager was once again asked about his future and replied that he has already talked about what would be required for him to take over on a permanent basis.
"We all know the situation," Ferretti said. "Hopefully there is a decision soon one way or the other. The cards have been laid on the table."
Ferretti had stated on Monday that there is a buy-out clause in his contract with Tigres, although ESPN Mexico reported Tuesday that the Mexican federation is not willing to pay it.