2018/19 Australian A League, Regular Season
  • Dimitrios Petratos (5')
  • Roy O'Donovan (67')
  • Adam Taggart (65')
  • √Čric Bautheac (87')

Newcastle Jets held as Brisbane Roar end losing streak rut with late equaliser

Newcastle's season of frustration continued as Brisbane avoided a club record sixth consecutive loss with a late equaliser in a 2-2 draw at McDonald Jones Stadium on Wednesday night.

Dimi Petratos put Newcastle ahead on five minutes when he pounced on a loose pass from former Jet Jacob Pepper, beat two defenders and powered his left-foot shot past Jamie Young.

The Jets had seven shots to Brisbane's zero on target in the first half but the visitors held on before Adam Taggart equalised from Connor O'Toole's cross in the 65th minute.

Their joy was short-lived, however, as Roy O'Donovan put Newcastle back in front in the 67th off a goal-mouth scramble. Petratos hit the long ball in and Nigel Boogaard made the vital touch to an unmarked O'Donovan.

Roar captain Matt McKay hit the post from close range in the 79th minute to send shudders through home supporters before an unmarked Eric Bautheac headed in the leveller in the 87th off Nicholas D'Agostino's cross.

The Roar, second last on seven points, were in their second match under interim coach Darren Davies following the resignation of John Aloisi. The Jets, who were second last season, have 12 points from 11 matches in a campaign marred by missed chances.

Young was outstanding for Roar, denying Ronny Vargas in the 15th minute and Jason Hoffman in the 39th with desperate saves. Petratos rattled the posts with a free kick in the 33rd minute.

The visitors also had a penalty shout for handball against Nikolai Topor-Stanley checked by the VAR. McKay's cross hit Topor-Stanley's elbow but it was cleared by officials.

Jets defender Johnny Koutroumbis, 20, started in his first appearance since treatment for thyroid cancer.

Davies believed the draw was a fair result after their second-half effort.

"I don't think we were at our best first half but I think second half, it was a little bit end to end," Davies said. "We made some positive changes and I think we deserved a point in the end.

"To be fair to the boys, you can't fault their endeavour, the spirit, the character. They came back at 2-1 and we scored two good goals."

Jets coach Ernie Merrick praised the fight of Roar but said his side suffered from fatigue in the second half after backing up from their 2-1 injury-time loss to Adelaide on Sunday.

"It could have been all over in the first half," Merrick said. "But we came out in the second half and although we did deteriorate and got tired, I still think we created enough chances to win the game."