Sunderland have confirmed that they have accepted a bid from Crystal Palace for Patrick van Aanholt and given him permission to speak to the Eagles after the defender handed in a transfer request.
Sources told ESPN FC earlier this week that Palace were in talks with Sunderland over a move for Van Aanholt, 26, and were ready to pay a fee in the region of £12 millon for the Dutchman.
Sunderland announced on Friday that they are allowing Van Aanholt to leave the club after he made clear his desire to depart the Stadium of Light this month.
"Sunderland AFC has given Patrick van Aanholt permission to speak to Crystal Palace, after the defender advised officials that he no longer wanted to play for the club and submitted a transfer request," a statement read.
- Sunderland AFC (@SunderlandAFC) January 27, 2017
"The club has accepted a bid for the defender, who has been given permission to travel to London for talks."
Sunderland chief executive Martin Bain said: "If a player openly states he does not want to play for our club, then it is clear that we have a decision to make. In this instance and in regard to this particular player, we have done what we feel is right for Sunderland, which will always be our priority."
Van Aanholt, who joined Sunderland from Chelsea in 2014, is reported to be undergoing his medical with Palace on Friday.
Palace are also looking into signing free agent Chris Samba, with sources telling ESPN FC that they have taken the former Blackburn Rovers and Queens Park Rangers defender on trial.