Everton defender Michael Keane has told The Times he turned down the chance to go back to Manchester United in favour of regular first-team football at Goodison Park.
Keane, 24, came through the youth ranks at United but made only one Premier League appearance before being sold to Burnley in 2015.
His performances at Turf Moor earned him a full England debut against Germany in March, and saw him linked with Chelsea and Manchester United over the summer.
Keane confirmed that United made an approach for him, but he opted to join Everton in a £25 million move, which could eventually be worth £30m.
"They [United] were in touch with my agent and showed a lot of interest," Keane said. "They wanted me, but a few things happened and I thought Everton would be the best place for me to come.
"I thought I would get a lot of game time here, more than I possibly would at Manchester United, and that was a massive factor in my decision.
"To be honest, having been at Burnley for three years, I wasn't a fan of the club like I used to be.
"I wasn't as big a fan of Man United as I had been, so I had to sort of put that to one side and just think rationally about what would be best for me as a footballer.
"My family are all Man United fans so it was not an easy decision. My dad would have been delighted if I had signed for United. But he is glad I have come to Everton and not Liverpool, put it that way."
But Keane will go back to Old Trafford on Sunday as Everton make the short trip to take on United in the Premier League.