Atletico Madrid have completed the signing of Mexico midfielder Hector Herrera on a three-year contract.
Herrera, 29, arrives on a free transfer following a six-year spell at FC Porto. He scored eight goals in 51 games last season as the Portuguese side finished second to rivals Benfica and reached the quarterfinals of the Champions League.
Herrera, who has made 70 appearances for Mexico, joins the La Liga side following the imminent departure of Atletico midfielder Rodri, who is set to sign for Manchester City.
📝 | Agreement with @HHerreramex for the midfielder to become a new Red & White player 🔴⚪— Atlético de Madrid (@atletienglish) July 3, 2019
🇲🇽 The Mexican is to sign a three-year contract tomorrow.
👋 Welcome! 🔝
👉 https://t.co/9KgGratmg2#AúpaAtleti #WelcomeHerrera pic.twitter.com/sPkUFn3UXn
"Atletico de Madrid has reached an agreement with Hector Herrera for the Mexican to become a new Red & White player," said an Atletico statement on Wednesday afternoon. "The midfielder is to sign a three-year contract tomorrow."
The move had been reported by ESPN FC back in May and was announced by Atletico just hours after they revealed that Manchester City had triggered the release clause of their former midfielder Rodrigo.
In 245 games with Porto, Herrera contributed 35 goals and 35 assists, while winning the 2017-18 Portuguese league and 2018-19 Portuguese Supercup trophies.
Herrera tweeted that he was thrilled to be joining a club of Atletico's stature soon after the announcement.
Motivado y con mucha ilusión por llegar a un equipo histórico como el @atleticodemadrid y muy feliz por jugar en la mejor liga del mundo @laliga 🦊🔴⚪ nos vemos pronto colchoneros 💪🏼 pic.twitter.com/uYU3MtOYMV— Héctor Herrera (@HHerreramex) July 3, 2019
Atletico have already signed centre-back Felipe from Porto this summer for €20 million, and a source in Portugal told ESPN FC this week that negotiations for left-back Alex Telles were ongoing between the clubs.
Rojiblanco coach Diego Simeone is a big fan of the Brazil international, the source said, and Atletico were still hopeful of dropping from the €40m release clause.