South Africa dumped out of COSAFA Cup by Madagascar 

Stuart Baxter, coach of South Africa Samuel Shivambu/BackpagePix

Luther Singh's poor penalty in a shoot-out saw a youthful South Africa dumped out of the COSAFA Cup tournament they are hosting after Madagascar secured victory following a 0-0 quarterfinal draw at the New Peter Mokaba Stadium on Sunday.

South Africa dominated the chances in the game and should have been at least a couple of goals up by halftime, but were dragged into penalties by a Malagasy side that showed little ambition to get forward.

Singh stepped up to take South Africa's fifth penalty, but his tame effort was easily saved by Madagascan goalkeeper Jean Dieu Randrianasolo an d Tobisoa Sandratriniain stepped up to put the islanders into the semifinals.

South Africa coach Stuart Baxter handed a national team debut to defender Taariq Fielies and midfielder Fortune Makaringe, with the starting XI having just 45 caps between them.

They created an early opportunity when Singh played a clever free-kick low into the path of Lebogang Maboe, but the midfielder's first-time shot went just wide of goal.

The home side had an even better opportunity on 20 minutes when Ryan Moon's delightful ball over the top of the Madagascar defence set Singh free one-on-one with, but he disappointingly shot straight at the gloveman.

It took 33 minutes for Madagascar to have their first effort on target, but Jaotombo Bourahim shot over from the edge of the box.

Maboe had another fantastic chance to score when beat the offside trap and found himself with only Randrianasolo to beat, but like Singh before him, shot straight at the keeper and it would end goalless at the break.

South Africa brought on winger Abednego Mosiatlhaga for his debut at the break and moved Moon into a central striker role, but it was Madagascar who had the first chance.

Bourahim used his pace to get behind the South African defence but was denied by a point-blank save from Reyaad Pieterse.

South Africa almost found the opener when Aubrey Modiba's shot from the edge of the box had the beating of Randrianasolo, but not the crossbar and Mosiatlhaga was unable to get the rebound on target.

Baxter handed a debut late on to 17-year-old striker Lyle Foster as he went to three at the back in a desperate search for a winning goal but with no extra-time played, a penalty shoot-out was required to decider a winner.