Borussia Dortmund defender Neven Subotic's move to Middlesbrough appears to be in doubt following his medical, although his agent has played down the reports.
The Northern Echo said on Wednesday morning that Subotic's proposed move to newly promoted Middlesbrough had collapsed following a medical, with the 27-year-old having missed the run-in last season with a thrombosis problem.
Sky Sports News also said talks with Middlesbrough had broken down but the player's agent, Frieder Gamm, subsequently issued a statement to outlets including ESPN FC, which read: "Neven Subotic is currently in talks with English clubs.
"Due to his known and already-healed thrombosis problem the medical examinations are more thorough than usual. The examinations have yet to come to a conclusion."
The Northern Echo said the transfer to Boro, reported to be worth around £8 million, was unlikely to be revived.
Dortmund had first announced two weeks ago that Subotic, who is seeking regular first-team football, had been given permission to hold transfer talks.
ESPN FC's Germany correspondent, Stephan Uersfeld, contributed to this report.