<
>

A-League clubs eye active support return

On the eve of the A-League season, clubs and players are keen to look back to the future with a push to re-engage with active support.

In previous years, active support groups - including Melbourne Victory's North Terrace, Western Sydney's Red and Black Bloc (RBB) and Sydney FC's The Cove - have been a prolific feature of the competition.

Supporter discontent around treatment and restrictions contributed to a drop-off in active support - with certain groups either pulling back or disbanding altogether.

But with the A-League clubs taking over ownership of the league, there is growing hope active support will be encouraged more than it was under the FFA.

Western Sydney's move to BankWest Stadium, with its safe standing area, is seen as a key factor in re-engaging with the club's fanbase.

The Wanderers have reconnected with the RBB, including having a joint season launch and captain Mitch Duke said garnering that support was crucial.

"To have that active support is I feel so important for the game," Duke told AAP.

"That's what us as professionals look forward to.

"Walking out on the pitch, hearing the loud crazy fans, makes you feel like you've kind of made it as a professional footballer. You feel privileged to play in front of such an amazing atmosphere. That's what you dream of as a young one.

"Hopefully we can get that back this year and other clubs follow suit as well."

At Melbourne Victory, there has also been a push to reconnect with its supporter groups.

Club chairman Anthony Di Pietro said Victory expected to see their active supporters march to Marvel Stadium ahead of Saturday's Melbourne derby.

"Every effort is underway to enable active supporters to freely express themselves in a way that this game does so well," Di Pietro said at Victory In Business Season Launch on Wednesday.

"We understand that our active supporters are going to march to the stadium on Saturday, Western Sydney Wanderers are in a new world class boutique stadium this season, and their active supporters are back.

"We need every football follower in on the game this season and we can't wait for it."

Melbourne Victory have previously enjoyed one of the league's loudest and most prolific terraces.

The "North Terrace" active supporter group ceased its active support after two rounds of the 2016/17 season, citing an "untenable" situation.

On Monday night, the group's Facebook page posted for the first time since December 2016, with a simple message: "stay tuned", hinting at a potential return.