Eberlein Drive became the fifth team to be removed from The Basketball Tournament because of a positive test for COVID-19.
"We are devastated by the news that we can no longer compete, but we understand. We can report that the player who tested positive is asymptomatic and feeling well. We appreciate all @thetournament has done to keep everyone safe. We will be back in 2021 #LetsDrive," Eberlein Drive wrote in a tweet Sunday night.
Brotherly Love, which was supposed to face Eberlein Drive on Monday, automatically advances to the quarterfinals. Mid-American Unity and Jackson TN Underdawgs were both removed last week following positive tests, along with Playing For Jimmy V, which initially replaced Best Virginia in the pool.
Last month, Best Virginia, a team featuring former West Virginia stars, withdrew following a player's positive test.
Organizers put four teams on standby because of concerns about the coronavirus pandemic's impact on the event. By the time the event started Friday, all four teams had been used.
Organizers, however, say the eliminations suggest that their plan is working. The event's health and safety plan says that a player who tests positive during a mandatory five-day quarantine will be eliminated along with his team. The TBT has administered more than 1,800 tests at various stages. Only 43 have come back positive.
There were no positive tests in the final round of testing leading up to this week's playoff rounds and next week's championship.
"Health and safety has always been our top priority and our plan is working," TBT founder and CEO Jon Mugar said in a statement. "As dramatic as it is to remove a team for a single positive case, it has always been a vital part to our plan. We wish the player a speedy recovery and look forward to seeing Eberlein Drive back in 2021."
The TBT is airing on ESPN through July 14.