2019-20 Australian A League, Regular Season
  • Adrián Luna (3', 28')
  • Marcelo Cabrera (47')
  • Jamie Maclaren (59')

Adrian Luna scores twice as Melbourne City thrash Newcastle Jets

Melbourne City wasted little time bouncing back from last week's shock A-League loss to Perth by routing a hapless Newcastle 4-0.

Just a week after getting ambushed by the Glory, Adrian Luna bagged a brace, while Jamie Maclaren and Javier Cabrera also found the net in a one-sided affair.

The victory ensures City consolidate second spot for Erick Mombaerts' side, five points behind Sydney FC and three clear of Western United.

In contrast, Newcastle face a week of soul-searching following one of their worst efforts of the season that has left them languishing in ninth spot.

City looked like a team on a mission from the kickoff at Newcastle International Sports Centre on Sunday evening, and got the perfect start when Cabrera took advantage of a flat-footed Jets defence.

The Uruguayan split their central defenders with a precision through ball for Luna, who simply helped it past an advancing Glen Moss in just the third minute.

Newcastle slowly warmed back into the contest only to concede from a recycled corner, with Luna nodding home a teasing Josh Brillante cross.

The set piece for City came moments after most of the Jets were caught straddling the sidelines sipping water during a stoppage.

The opposition meanwhile thirsted for more goals, and again found a Newcastle backline napping just minutes after the half-time break. A quick free kick from Denis Genreau hit an unmarked Cabrera, who waltzed into the box and thumped a rocket past Moss at his near post.

Maclaren completed the beatdown when he tapped in a Cabrera cross soon after.

The only positive for the hosts was the performance of star Dimi Petratos, who drew two saves from City's new goalkeeper Thomas Glover. The No. 10 was the only real threat for a defence that claimed just their second clean sheet of the season -- and first since round one.

But it wasn't enough to prevent part of the 8,133 crowd at McDonald Jones Stadium from booing their team from the field at full-time.

On a sour note for the visitors though, Genreau failed to finish the match after succumbing to a suspected shoulder injury he picked up in the first half.