Fredy Montero doubles up as Vancouver Whitecaps rout LA Galaxy

Fredy Montero scored twice, and the Vancouver Whitecaps cruised to a 3-0 win over the LA Galaxy to close out the 2020 Major League Soccer season for both teams on Sunday in Portland, Ore.

The Whitecaps couldn't get the win in their own stadium in Canada due to COVID-19 restrictions in that nation, but celebrated with plenty of smiles after securing ninth place in the Western Conference.

That finish wasn't good enough to qualify for the MLS postseason, but it assured them of finishing higher than the 10th place Galaxy.

- MLS on ESPN+: Stream LIVE games and replays (U.S. only)

Lucas Cavallini also scored for the Whitecaps, who were able to rebound after being ousted from playoff contention earlier in the week.

The Galaxy played with 10 men from the 41st minute on after Julian Araujo was issued a red card for a serious foul on Vancouver's Cristian Gutierrez.

Cavallini scored in the 24th minute, then Montero got his first goal of the night in the 43rd with Ali Adnan and Jake Nerwinski providing an assist. Montero made it 3-0 a minute into stoppage time.

The Galaxy never mounted much of a threat, though Whitecaps goalkeeper Evan Bush came up with a good save in the 75th minute off a shot from Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez, who came on as a substitute in the second half. Bush finished with six saves.

Fredy Montero
Fredy Montero
Douglas DeFelice-USA TODAY Sports

It was a season to forget for Chicharito, the Galaxy's big-name signing in the offseason who was brought in to provide major offense for the club. He finished with two goals in 12 appearances.

Galaxy goalkeeper David Bingham (3 saves) raised his arms to knock away a Russell Teibert shot in the 49th minute, but the Whitecaps were so much in command that Teibert and his teammates could only smile.

Neither team had anything on the line on Decision Day as both entered the day eliminated from playoff contention. The Galaxy, five-time MLS Cup winners, fired head coach Guillermo Barros Schelotto on Oct. 29.

Vancouver ended the season with two wins in its last five matches.