Egypt claim last place in African Nations Cup quarterfinals

Egypt have progressed to the quarterfinals of the African Nations Cup as Group D winners after a 1-0 win over Ghana in Port-Gentil.

Victory, secured by Mohamed Salah's first-half goal, took the seven-time champions above Ghana and into first place with a total of seven points. Ghana also progress to the competition's final eight, having won their two previous fixtures against Uganda and Mali to finish second.

Egypt were presented with the opportunity to go ahead when Ghana's John Boye fouled Abdallah El Said on the edge of the penalty area.

Roma's Salah, one of Africa's most high-profile players, then gave his side the lead from an 11th-minute free kick. Powerfully striking directly into the top-left corner with his left foot, he ensured goalkeeper Brimah Razak -- so impressive against Mali -- barely moved.

Ghana perhaps edged a largely even affair thereafter, but were undermined in their pursuit of an equalising goal when Asamoah Gyan went off injured towards the end of the first half.

Egypt therefore secured a third clean sheet from three Group D fixtures, but may yet regret doing so. Much has been made of the poor condition of the pitch in Port-Gentil, where the group winners were scheduled to remain for their final-eight fixture.

Heavy rain has worsened the pitch's condition in recent days -- runners-up Egypt, however, will next play in Oyem.

Uganda scored their first goal at the African Nations Cup since 1978 as a 1-1 draw with Mali in Oyem saw both teams eliminated.

Only Mali had retained any chance of progressing but they required three points and for Egypt to lose.

Mali had to come from behind against Uganda to secure a second draw from three and finish third in the four-team pool.

Farouk Miya gave Uganda the lead in the 70th minute. Receiving possession in space on the edge of the area, he powerfully struck beyond Mali goalkeeper Oumar Sissoko and inside the far left post.

Miya scored the goal last September that secured Uganda's qualification for their first African Nations Cup appearance for 39 years, and his strike secured a small piece of history for his country. Phillip Omondi had been their last scorer, against Nigeria in the 1978 semifinals.

Three minutes after Miya struck, Uganda were pegged back by Mali.

Mali were awarded a free kick on the edge of the area when Moussa Marega was fouled by Murshid Juuko. From it, Yves Bissouma produced an impressive and powerful finish, into the top-left corner, out of goalkeeper Robert Odongkara's reach.

Mali had previously drawn with seven-time champions Egypt and lost to Ghana, while Uganda had lost to both teams.