The second qualifying round of the Champions League kicked off on Tuesday with Scottish champions Celtic in action against Lincoln Red Imps of Gibraltar.... Who? Exactly.
The match marked the competitive debut of new manager Brendan Rodgers. Nice, right? Not so much. The former Liverpool boss watched on as a team with a good number of semi-pros took down the former holders, 1-0, in Tuesday's first leg in Gibraltar.
- Sky Sports News HQ (@SkySportsNewsHQ) July 12, 2016
To give you a better idea of how humble of a club Lincoln Red Imps are....
- Ronnie Esplin (@RonnieEsplin) July 11, 2016
The hero for the home side was Lee Casciaro, who finished with aplomb in the 48th minute.
- GBC News (@GBCNewsroom) July 12, 2016
That began a wave of tweets that ultimately crescendoed with an all-too-familiar hashtag.
I just see Celtic are losing to Lincoln Red Imps. If you don't know who this useless tin pot club is they are based in Glasgow Scotland.
- ⚒Mookie 10⚒ (@TheMook10) July 12, 2016
Lincoln Red Imps, Gibraltar, are winning 1-0 vs Brendan Rodgers' Celtic in the Champions League https://t.co/tgZrT0kjwZ
- The_Lil_Magician (@Lil_Magician10) July 12, 2016
Celtic aren't actually going to lose to a team called Lincoln Red Imps are they? pic.twitter.com/lnCtjFBalZ
- Matthew Norris (@M4ttNorris) July 12, 2016
Doesn't matter what stage of the season Celtic are at. I think I could find a team of guys on Twitter that could beat Lincoln Red Imps ��
- Danny Sweeney (@sweendan) July 12, 2016
If you all thought Iceland beating England was a humiliation, Celtic getting beaten by the Lincoln Red Imps of Gibraltar is 100x worse! #ucl
- Aidan Dulohery (@aidanous) July 12, 2016
- Justin Bird (Juggy) (@juggy1993) July 12, 2016
Brendan Rodgers first steps into the #UCL with Celtic didn't go quite according to plan
Lincoln Red Imps 1-0 Celt... pic.twitter.com/vVx3LYE6Wx
- Cheltenham tips (@Cheltenhamtips1) July 12, 2016
FT: Lincoln Red Imps 1-0 Celtic
Brendan Rodgers loses his first match to a team from Gibraltar. https://t.co/r5imdMtSo4
- Fans Of Sport (@FansOfSport) July 12, 2016
The @LincolnRedImps Twitter account hasn't been updated yet. As their social media guy was marking the captain of Scotland. ����
- LaudrupsHair (@LaudrupsHair) July 12, 2016
That's a disgrace #RodgersOut
- Dj Eoin Healy (@djeoinhealy) July 12, 2016