<
>

Sources: Navas wants Real Madrid exit

play
Did Gareth Bale play himself back into Zidane's squad? (1:48)

Alejandro Moreno and Stevie Nicol break down Gareth Bale's scintillating performance against Celta Vigo and wonder if Zidane will be forced to make Bale a regular again for Real Madrid. (1:48)

Keylor Navas has asked to leave Real Madrid before the summer transfer window shuts, sources have told ESPN FC, although coach Zinedine Zidane has said he wants him to stay.

Navas considered leaving Madrid earlier in the summer having been told by Zidane that Thibaut Courtois would be first choice goalkeeper for 2019-20, but then decided to stay having not received an attractive enough offer.

However, the situation has changed again, with sources telling ESPN FC Navas is upset with his conversations with Zidane over the summer. Agent Jorge Mendes has been tasked with working out a move for the 32-year-old to Paris Saint-Germain.

Madrid were initially against losing Navas so close to the transfer window closing on Sept. 2, but have reluctantly agreed to accept his demand to leave and are scouring the market for an experienced back-up for Courtois.

Sources have told ESPN FC that PSG are keen on Navas as well as AC Milan's Gianluigi Donnarumma. They also enquired about Courtois' availability earlier in the summer.

Asked about Navas' situation at a news conference Friday morning Zidane said: "Keylor is a Real Madrid player, an important player.

"We are not thinking about replacing him or about him leaving. Keylor is here with us, wants to be here with us. He can show that he is a very good player, and has been doing that in training. He has always been professional. The situation has not changed for me. We will have many games, and I will count on him."

Sources said that Madrid's potential interest in signing Neymar from PSG this summer was not connected to Navas going the other way.

"We have a game tomorrow, I am just thinking about that. That's the only thing we should think of, players, coach, staff, nothing else," Zidane said.

"Until Sept. 2 anything can happen, players can come and go. But the players who are here want to be here, and they are under contract. I want Sept. 2 to come as soon as possible. So these questions will end."

Zidane also confirmed that Gareth Bale and James Rodriguez will remain at the club, despite both looking likely to leave earlier in the summer.

"We know we need to improve, to achieve important things. The important thing is the player wants to stay, and we will count on him," Zidane said.

"He has shown before that he is a big player, and he must show that again. James is the same. He has returned from his time in Germany. We are happy to have him here, he is a good player, and he is happy to be here. What counts is what happens from here. There are many games and I will count on all the players."