The coronavirus pandemic made the transfer market unlike any before it, but there was still plenty of action on Deadline Day. With the window closed across the major leagues in Europe, you can check out the latest major completed transfers across the globe.
TOP STORY: Real Madrid & Barcelona battle for Fernandes
Real Madrid and Barcelona are set to battle it out over the signing of Manchester United midfielder Bruno Fernandes, The Sun reports.
Despite spending just over half a year at Old Trafford, Fernandes' status with the club is already up in the air, with the two Spanish juggernauts monitoring the situation closely.
Fernandes himself has denied that there are problems emerging between him and the club, but regardless of whether or not that's true, the stature of Real and Barca can pose a risk to just about any player in world football.
22.00 BST: That will do it for the latest edition of our LIVE Transfer Talk blog. We hoped you enjoyed following along with us and remind you to check back shortly for the latest transfer rumours, reports and completed deals. Goodnight!
21.11 BST: LAFC have played some brilliant attacking football over the last few years and Latif Blessing has been an important part in that.
Blessing's play has reportedly attracted interest from Brazil, as multiple reports indicate that Vasco da Gama are monitoring the Ghanaian. This is news to LAFC head coach Bob Bradley, who says he hasn't heard of any offers for Blessing.
The versatile Blessing, 23, has one goal and two assists this season after tallying six and six last campaign.
20.20 BST: Josh King wound up staying at Bournemouth amid links with West Ham, but could a deal be back on the table come January?
Football Insider understands that West Ham believed they have laid the groundwork for a January transfer of the Norway international. The Hammers were the closest to meeting Bournemouth's £15 million valuation for King, who should be available at a cheaper price come January.
West Ham also pursued Werder Bremen's Milot Rashica, who reportedly already has signed a pre-contract with Bayer Leverkusen.
19.08 BST: Notting Forest are hopeful that their last-minute deal for West Brom midfielder Kamil Grosicki will be accepted by EFL, claims the Nottingham Post.
The deal was initially declined -- as the club reportedly filed the necessary paperwork 21 seconds after the deadline. Forest are currently appealing that decision and are expected to get an answer one way or another on Monday morning.
Grosicki, 32 would be a major acquisition for Forest, as the Poland international is a proven player at the Championship level given his time with Hull City and later WBA.
18.20 BST: Saudi giants Al-Hilal are closing in on a move for Santos star Yeferson Soteldo, writes AS.
The clubs reportedly have agreed a €5 million fee for the Venezuelan winger, who is among the biggest stars in the Brazilian Premier League. Al-Hilal will now hope to agree to personal teams with the winger, who was previously linked with European clubs, including Everton.
17.32 BST: Chelsea spent over £220m on players this summer, but clearly should have done more in defence.
The Blues threw away important points AGAIN as they twice spurned the lead and conceded a stoppage-time goal in a thrilling 3-3 draw against Southampton.
Jannik Vestergaard's last-gasp equaliser denied Chelsea after Timo Werner and Kai Havertz scored their first Premier League goals for the club.
16.55 BST: Chelsea midfielder N'Golo Kante does not feel he is part of the future plans at Stamford Bridge, sources have told ESPN's Julien Laurens.
The France international has over two years left on his contract at Chelsea but there are indications that this could be his last season at the club. While he is happy in London and playing in the Premier League, the 29-year-old is aware of the Bues' interest in Declan Rice (see 11.56 BST). It was clear to Kante that Chelsea were to bring back former academy product Rice, who also counts Mason Mount as his best friend.
It almost felt at times that Chelsea were waiting for an offer for Kante to let him go and replace him with Rice. Inter Milan never bid for the Frenchman and as such, he remains happy to stay at Chelsea. But even in their communication, the London club and Lampard were never too clear about Kante.
Kante also didn't take well that Lampard denied his request to take a day off training to attend one of his best friends' wedding. Chelsea deny the story but French sources have confirmed it to ESPN -- while Kante himself could have denied it while on international duty with Les Bleus last week but chose not to.
As amicable as the former Leicester City star is, he also has a strong personality. However, he will give his absolute best all season for Lampard and Chelsea as he has done since arriving in 2016. But next summer might be a totally different dynamic around him than in comparison to the last transfer window.
The France international has over two years left on his contract at Chelsea but there are indications that this could be his last season at the club. While he is happy in London and playing in the Premier League, the 29-year-old
15.28 BST: ICYMI - Midfielder Brenden Aaronson has been transferred from the Philadelphia Union to FC Salzburg, the clubs announced on Friday.
Aaronson, 19, will finish the ongoing campaign with Philadelphia and then join up with Salzburg when the transfer window opens in January.
Sources have told ESPN's Jeff Carlisle that the initial fee is $6m with an additional $3m paid to the Union if certain incentives are met. One source characterized the add-ons as "very realistic." The Union will also receive between 10% and 20% of any future transfer, depending on how long Aaronson plays for Salzburg.
The deal marks the first time that one the Union's homegrown players has been transferred to a European club, and the fee is the highest for a United States-based homegrown player in MLS history.
14.17 BST: Real Madrid are tracking the progress of Borussia Dortmund's Giovanni Reyna, sources have told ESPN's Rodrigo Faez and Alex Kirkland.
Madrid are aware of the 17-year-old's potential as a gifted playmaker, and off the pitch as a marketable USMNT star-in-waiting. Reyna has caught the eye for Dortmund this season, recording a hat trick of assists in a 4-0 Bundesliga win over Freiburg earlier this month (stream Hoffenheim vs. Dortmund LIVE games on ESPN+ at 9:30 a.am. ET (U.S. only).
Sources said Madrid are actively monitoring Reyna -- and will watch how he develops for club and country over the 2020-21 season -- and the same goes for a large number of talented youngsters of the same age as part of the club's extensive scouting department.
- Hamilton: Captain America's son making waves at Dortmund
13.30 BST: Liverpool and Chelsea have both been linked with interest in two youngsters at English League Two club Grimsby Town -- much to the annoyance of their manager, Ian Holloway.
The Athletic reported earlier this week that Louis Boyd and Ben Grist, who were both aged 15 when they were named in Grimsby's squad for an EFL Trophy match in September, are both being tracked by top clubs. However, outspoken boss Holloway is unhappy at the prospect of Premier League giants swooping in to sign his young stars.
Holloway told Grimsby Live: "Am I surprised at that? No I'm not surprised at that. Am I fuming about it? Yeah. These big wigs who want to take over football on the sly, they've already got rules passed that they're category A clubs, and they can steal those lads off us very, very cheaply, because it suits them again doesn't it?
"Those rules were passed by who? The academy setup is run by people who have got enough money to have all those things in place to get a tick in the box for category A. They've all got it because they've all got the money, and that means they can take those boys off me.
"I want to play them when they're 15 because they're good enough, and when will they ever play for them? I'm going to have to wait and see. I knew it would be a risk, but I don't really care, because I care about those boys and I want to get them in my team, and I'll teach them as good as any one of those clubs will, if not better in my opinion."
12.42 BST: Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has left the door open for Mesut Ozil to return to the first-team picture, saying he will review the midfielder's absence from the club's Europa League squad at the end of the year.
Ozil has not played a competitive game for Arsenal since March and, along with defender Soktratis Papstathopoulos, he has been left out of Arteta's 25-man squad for the group stage in Europe.
"I spoke to them face to face before I released the squad and I explained the reason why the numbers that we had," Arteta told a news conference ahead of Saturday's match against Manchester City.
"It was really difficult to tell them that, but these are the restrictions and the rules. We have to respect that decision and try to train in the best possible way to help the team in that moment and see what happens in December."
Ozil, the club's highest earner, sees his contract with the Gunners expire next summer.
11.59 BST: Chelsea will look to sign Declan Rice in January if West Ham show signs of softening their stance in negotiations, sources told ESPN's James Olley.
ESPN reported on July 7 that the Hammers were determined to keep Rice this summer despite the Blues registering their interest in him, and that position never changed throughout the summer window. Chelsea chose not to make any formal bid for Rice, 21, with West Ham demanding around £80m. They instead opted to commit £220m on strengthening other areas of their squad.
However, sources said Rice remains a top target for Frank Lampard and Chelsea would be willing to make a move in January if conditions allow. A deal is more likely next summer but West Ham's financial concerns are complicated. They are set to commit around £30m to sign Said Benrahma from Championship side Brentford, after taking him on loan for this season, but they are also exploring short-term funding options. Rice has a contract until 2024 and the player has not agitated to leave but the club may choose to cash in should wider circumstances create fresh pressures.
Equally, Lampard will need to make space in his squad. Rice is used by West Ham and England as a defensive midfielder, but Chelsea are attracted by his versatility to play at centre-back.
- Insider Notebook: Reyna, U.S. stars on Barca radar
11.16 BST: Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane has played down the latest round of questions regarding any future moves for strikers Erling Haaland and Kylian Mbappe.
Haaland linked up well with Martin Odegaard on international duty, with the Madrid midfielder providing two assists for the Borussia Dortmund striker in Norway's 4-0 win over Romania (stream UEFA Nations League LIVE games and replays on ESPN+ (U.S. only).
"Yes, I saw their games, not live, but I saw them," Zidane told a news conference on Friday. "Martin played a bit differently, in a line of four, but he did well. When players go away with their national teams, I prefer them to play. On Haaland, he isn't my player, but he's good, what can I say."
Paris Saint-Germain striker Mbappe continues to be linked with a move to the Bernabeu, but Zidane was quick to dismiss such talks.
"There are a lot of rumours around Real Madrid and I'm not talking about that player in particular, but in general," he said. "It doesn't annoy or influence us. What people say doesn't influence the dressing room. The market is closed, we have this team to fight for everything that's ahead of us and that's what we'll do."
10.29 BST: ICYMI - Paul Pogba will remain at Manchester United for the next two years after the club have triggered a one-year option in the Frenchman's contract that will keep him at the club until 2022.
Pogba could have started negotiating with clubs outside the Premier League in January had the club not extended his deal by an additional 12 months.
"Paul is our player, he's going to be here for another two years," United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer told a news conference on Friday. "I'm sure he's focused on doing his best for us and we want to see the best of Paul.
The 27-year-old had revealed during the international break that a move to Real Madrid remains a "dream" for him, telling a news conference: We all heard, some things have been said. What do you want me to say? Yes, all the players would like to play for Real Madrid one day. It could be a dream. It is a dream for me. Why not? One day.
09.42 BST: Santos have suspended the contract of former Brazil international forward Robinho, the club announced on Friday.
Robinho, 36, rejoined Santos for a third stint this week, signing a five-month contract with the Sao Paulo side. However, the deal was met with public outrage in Brazil, which stemmed from a 2017 conviction for the former AC Milan and Manchester City man's involvement in the rape of a 22-year-old woman at a nightclub.
"Santos Football Club and Robinho, by mutual consent, have resolved to suspend the contract signed on Oct. 10 in order for the player to concentrate exclusively on his defence in the ongoing case in Italy," the club said in a statement.
Robinho confirmed the news on Instagram, saying: "It's true that, with a lot of sadness in my heart, I come to tell you that I made the decision along with the [Santos] president to suspend my contract at this difficult time in my life."
"My goal always was to help Santos Football Club, and if I'm getting in the way, it's better that I leave and focus on my personal issues. To the [Santos] fans, those who love me, I will prove my innocence to you."
On Thursday, Brazilian orthodontics franchise Orthopride announced it had ended its sponsorship deal with the Sao Paulo giants "out of respect for women," and said the company had not been informed before Robinho was signed.
Robinho, who was a free agent, had signed a five-month contract with Santos that would have paid him $271 (R$1.500) a month, which is just above the Brazil's minimum wage.
09.00 BST: The English domestic window closed on Friday, and perhaps the biggest deal to be sealed before the deadline was Tottenham Hotspur's signing of Swansea City for defender Joe Rodon.
Sources told ESPN's James Olley the deal is worth an initial £11m with a further £4m in add-ons. Rodon has signed a contract that will last until 2025, the club confirmed.
The deadline for transfers involving English Football League clubs passed at 5 p.m. local time on Friday and Spurs ended their search for a centre-back by striking a deal with just hours left.
Spurs had turned their attentions to Rodon after being rebuffed in their attempts to sign Milan Skriniar from Inter Milan and Chelsea's Antonio Rudiger, with the Blues reluctant to strengthen their London rivals.
They signed Rodon after having an opening offer of around £10m rejected, sources said. However, Rodon is unlikely to have been registered in time to feature in Sunday's Premier League home game against West Ham.
PAPER TALK (by Harry Kettle): Chelsea still want Donnarumma
Calciomercato is reporting that Chelsea are still interested in trying to sign AC Milan goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma next summer.
The link was made between the two parties in recent months as the Blues went after a replacement for Kepa Arrizabalaga, and yet despite going in the direction of Edouard Mendy instead, Donnarumma could still be a surprise option.
The youngster's contract is set to expire next year and while Milan are trying to lock him down to a new deal, there are some lingering issues preventing them from getting it done.
Griezmann to PSG a possibility?
Antoine Griezmann could leave Barcelona in favour of a move to Paris Saint-Germain based on his relationship with Lionel Messi, OkDiario reports.
The Frenchman is said to be interested in making history back in his homeland with the Ligue 1 champions after failing to set the world on fire since jumping ship from Atletico Madrid to the Nou Camp last year.
Griezmann's partnership with Messi reportedly leaves a lot to be desired, with the two being unable to combine for the sort of chemistry they need to succeed.
- Manchester United will attempt to make a push to sign Juventus striker Paulo Dybala next summer, TodoFichajes reports. He has fallen out of favour with the Italian champions and is set to be moved in the next 12 months if he does not agree to extend his current contract, which would be expiring in 2022.
- Yannick Bolasie's proposed loan move from Everton to Middlesbrough is now off the table, Sky Sports reports. The winger has been in talks with the North East club over a deal but as the deadline for transfers expired in the Football League, the disappointed Bolasie has announced that he won't be making the switch after all.