Triangle in historic Chibuku Super Cup triumph

Triangle's Guthrie Zhokinyi battles it out with Dynamos' Takunda Macheka Tinashe Makufa

Unfashionable Triangle bagged their first major trophy after second-half goals from captain Ralph Kawondera and speedy winger Phineas Bamusi ensured a 2-0 win over Harare City in the Chibuku Super Cup final on Saturday.

Playing in front of their fans at Gibbo Stadium, the Sugar Boys were by far the best team in the first-half, with the striker Lameck Nhamo always looking threatening whenever in possession. They however struggled to make their dominance count.

City on the other hand were largely subdued, with only Tatenda Tumba having enough confidence to tease the hosts' defence.

The game opened up a bit more after the break as Triangle goalkeeper Ronald Mudimu blocked a William Manondo effort from deep inside the box, while at the other end Ryan Harrison did well to parry away a fierce drive from Russel Madamombe.

The City defence succumbed just before the hour-mark as Kawondera directed a powerful header past Harrison after the visitors had struggled to convincingly deal with a corner kick.

City coach Mark Harrison responded to the setback by pulling out his entire front three, bringing on Ishmael Wadi, Wilfred Muvirimi and Martin Vengesai coming on for Tumba, Kuda Musharu and Malvin Gaki.

While the move showed City's strength in depth, it did little to spark a response from a team who had won two of the four Chibuku Super Cup editions since the tournament was introduced in 2014.

There were some shots at goal though, with Wadi's volley from the edge of the area being easily smothered by Mudimu, while Vengesai's low effort from distance went just wide.

Taurai Mangwiro also made his own changes, and it was one his substitutes, 20-year-old Anelka Chivandire, who came closest to doubling the advantage with a booming long range drive only for Harrison to produce another fine save.

In the end, it was left to former CAPS United man Bamusi to deliver the final blow as he raced to edge of the box to deliver a cross which was deflected back into his path.

The 27-year-old needed one touch to create some space before rifling home inside Harrison's near post to send a packed Gibbo Stadium into delirious celebration.

Triangle were deserving victors, and the Chibuku Super Cup triumph caps a dream season for coach Taurai Mangwiro and his men, who are also well placed to finish fourth in the league ahead of giants CAPS United and Highlanders.

Mangwiro relied exclusively on an experienced cast for the final, with midfield prospect Chivandire only coming in 10 minutes into the second-half.

Nineteen-year-old Patrick Magegedhla made an injury time entrance but there was to be no appearance for Triangle's other exciting teenager Delic Murimba.