Cape Town City, Maritzburg claim wins as Chiefs fall short

Siphiwe Tshabalala of Kaizer Chiefs challenged by Aubrey Modiba of Supersport United Muzi Ntombela/BackpagePix

Cape Town City and Maritzburg United both claimed victories in Wednesday's Matchday 2 matches in the Absa Premiership, but Kaizer Chiefs succumbed to SuperSport United.

Elsewhere, Bidvest drew played out a draw with Free State Stars, and there was little to choose between Golden Arrows and Bloemfontein Celtic.

SuperSport United claimed a 2-1 victory over 10-man Kaizer Chiefs at the FNB Stadium.

After Erick Mathoho was given his marching orders in the sixth minute following a cynical foul on Bradley Grobler, the hosts were up against it for the majority of the match.

It didn't take long for United to use their numerical advantage to good effect, as Aubrey Modiba leaped highest to head home at the back post after some patient build-up play by the visitors.

Midway through the first half, Grobler doubled SuperSport's advantage after latching onto an inch-perfect through-ball before the beating the on-rushing Brilliant Khuzwayo with a deft finish.

After the halftime interval, Steve Komphela's side seemed to throw caution to the wind and in the 66th minute, got the goal their performance arguably deserved when Gustavo Paez fired home having been played in my Siphiwe Tshabalala.

Chiefs continued to look for an equaliser in the closing stages but ultimately couldn't find a way past the resolute SuperSport defense.

Cape Town City continued their winning form under Benni McCarthy when they claimed a 3-1 home win over Platinum Stars.

At a wet Cape Town Stadium, Letsie Koapeng opened the scoring for the hosts with a 25th minute penalty, after Mbongeni Mzimela was adjudged to have brought down Lebogang Manyama in the penalty area.

Ayanda Patosi doubled City's lead 15 minutes into the second half, before substitute Teko Modise added a third in the 72nd minute.

Dikwena pulled one goal back with eight minutes left on the clock thanks to Robert Ng'ambi's header, but with time running out, the visitors were unable to create another clear-cut opportunity.

Meanwhile, Maritzburg United moved to the top of the table after beating Ajax Cape Town 2-0 at the Harry Gwala Stadium in Pietermaritzburg.

Evans Rusike opened the scoring for the hosts after 30 minutes with a headed finish from Bandile Shandu's cross.

Ajax thought they were level 10 minutes after the interval when Tashreeq Morris fired home, but his effort was ruled out for a foul on the goalkeeper.

Rusike then got his second goal of the night in the 68th minute with another composed finish.

Defending champions Bidvest Wits were held to a 2-2 draw in their away game against Free State Stars at Groble Park in Bethlehem.

New signing Kobamelo Kodisang handed the Clever Boys the lead nine minutes into his debut, but Relebogile Mokhuoane brought the hosts back to parity after 34 minutes.

With Thamsanqa Teyise red-carded on the hour mark, Wits were always favourite to leave with all three points, and with eight minutes left in the match, scored what could have been the winning goal when Reeve Frosler found the back of the net.

However, it was not to be after Stars were awarded a penalty in injury time, which Siphelele Mthembu calmly converted.

Golden Arrows and Bloemfontein Celtic played out a dull 1-1 draw at the Princess Magogo Stadium in Durban.

Celtic took the lead after just six minutes when Roggert Nyundu headed home from a freekick.

With chances few and far between, the visitors looked destined to take a lead into the halftime break, with five minutes before the interval Kudakwashe Mahachi converted from the penalty spot.

The second half produced few chances, with both sides limited to a couple of long-range efforts which rarely troubled the goalkeepers.