Oscar stars but Shanghai SIPG are held by Ulsan Hyundai

Oscar scored twice but was unable to keep Shanghai SIPG's perfect start in the Asian Champions League going as Ulsan Hyundai held them to a 2-2 draw on Wednesday.

Richard Windbichler gave Ulsan the lead in the 37th minute, but Oscar responded with a low drive into the corner less than a minute later.

And two minutes after Kim In-Sung had put South Korean side Ulsan back in front in the 70th minute, Oscar struck again with a curling effort from the edge of the area into the top corner.

Oscar and Wu Lei both hit the frame of the goal in a thrilling match, and Vitor Pereira's Shanghai remain top of Group G with seven points, three more than Ulsan.

"I'm quite satisfied with the performance today, even though the result wasn't ideal," Pereira said. "The players have shown great fighting spirit and mentality. We hit the bar three times.

"We conceded the first goal from a mistake defending a corner, the second was from their counter-attack. But my team played quite well for most of the game. This is football. You might have a great process but have a less than ideal result."

Kawasaki Frontale have yet to pick up their first win after being held to a 2-2 draw by Melbourne Victory, meaning the Japanese champions sit at the foot of the group with one point.

Shanghai Shenhua, meanwhile, had substitute Giovanni Moreno to thank for a 1-1 draw with two-time continental champions Suwon Bluewings in South Korea.

Lee Ki-Je gave Suwon the lead with a low drive through a crowd of players, but Moreno scored from the penalty spot to secure a point for the Chinese Super League side.

"It's a very important point for us as we gained it away from home," Shenhua coach Wu Jingui said. "Although we don't have a full squad, our players gave their best in every position.

"It was a tough game. Our opponents are a strong side and I have to thank my players for delivering such a performance. The players have gained confidence from this match, so I'm quite satisfied."

The result leaves Shenhua third in Group H on three points, four adrift of leaders Kashima Antlers, who defeated Sydney FC 2-0 to leave the Australians rooted to the bottom of the group with a solitary point.