<
>

Straeuli hot favourite for Bok post

Natal Sharks coach Rudolf Straeuli is the clear-cut favourite to be appointed Springbok coach after Western Province mentor Gert Smal ruled himself out of the running by not applying.

SA Rugby Pty (Ltd) received 35 applications for the position of Springbok coach vacated last month by Harry Viljoen. Smal, who won the Currie Cup two years in succession, opted against applying.

According to the Cape Times the former Springbok flank said that part of the reason for his decision was that he believed the process was a formality.

"I did not submit an application. I want to do things for the right reasons. This will probably make things difficult for me in the future. I believe I can make a success of it, but for the right reasons I decided not to apply," Small said.

A Sunday newspaper reported a few weeks back that SA Rugby Pty (Ltd) has already decided on a successor to Viljoen and that Straeuli (pictured) is the chosen one. The article stated that Smal's Cape ties count against him and that his supposed reluctance to give more black players a chance is also seen as a blot on his record.

SA Rugby, however, vehemently denied that Straeuli was their preferred choice and announced a thorough selection process, involving a number of role players in the local game. Two weeks ago Smal, apparently referring to the Straeuli rumours, said he did not want simply to be "part of a process".

However, on Monday he left the door open by stating he believes he is capable of doing the job and that he doesn't need a Super 12 season to prove it. "If they (SA Rugby) are serious about finding the right candidate for the job, they can still contact me."

The executive committee of SA Rugby, Silas Nkanunu, Ronnie Masson, Keith Parkinson, Rian Oberholzer, Tjol Lategan and Arthob Petersen, will meet in Johannesburg on Tuesday to draw up a shortlist from the 35 applicants. Those candidates on the shortlist will be invited for interviews.

Coaches who have confirmed that they have applied for the Bok job are Rudy Joubert, former Boland coach now coaching Cardiff, Jake White, former Springbok assistant coach, Allan Zondagh, former Western Province and Saracens coach, Eric Sauls, SWD Eagles coach, Straeuli and Allister Coetzee from the Eastern Province Elephants.

Former Springbok coach Nick Mallett, now coaching in France, said if SA Rugby are interested in his services they should approach him. Former Springbok captain and Saracens coach Francois Pienaar has also decided against applying, but according to reports he is hoping to be approached by SA Rugby.

SA Rugby's deputy managing director Songezo Nayo confirmed that his organisation would not change the selection criteria set out for the position, even if they have to head hunt the suitable candidate.

"The board is bound to operate within the accepted norms of recruitment. They can certainly head hunt but they cannot change the criteria set out in the advertisement because the criteria was decided upon by the full executive of Sarfu, so it's not something that is in their power to change," Nayo explained.

The coach will be named on March 2 and if it is a Super 12 coach, he would have to hand over the reigns halfway through the competition to take up his national duties.