Zimbabwe League wrap: Ngezi tighten grip on top spot

CAPS United celebrate BackpagePix

Violence rocked Zvishavane on Sunday as Highlanders fans once again rioted to force the abandonment of their clash against FC Platinum.

There were no goals in a first half of few openings, but right-back Tendai Ngulube struck for Bosso with 13 minutes to go to seemingly hand them the win.

However, Platinum were awarded a penalty three minutes into added time, and goalkeeper Petros Mhari converted to spark violent protests from the travelling supporters, who threw missiles onto the pitch to force the abandonment of yet another high-profile encounter involving Highlanders.

Only two weeks ago, Bosso supporters ran amok in their league showdown against bitter rivals Dynamos, again forcing a premature end to the tie.

While Highlanders' disciplinary woes continue to mount, table toppers Ngezi Platinum are on the up and up after coming from behind to beat Bulawayo City 3-2 at Baobab Stadium.

City had stunned the hosts through Ransome Pavari's strike on 17 minutes, but Tonderai Ndiraya's team responded swiftly with three quick goals before the break courtesy Tichaona Mabvura, Walter Mukanga and a Qadr Amin penalty. Zephania Ngodzo scored early in the second half for City, but Ngezi held on for a fifth consecutive win that sees them the early title favourites again.

Former champions Dynamos completed their most fruitful week of the campaign with a 3-1 win over fifth-placed ZPC Kariba. Emmanuel Mandiranga put Dynamos on the way to their second win in four days with a close range header just after the half-hour mark, and Denver Mukamba doubled the scoreline 10 minutes into the second half.

Kariba's Daniel Chakupe reduced the deficit with a trademark long-range scorcher, but it was Dynamos who enjoyed the last laugh after substitute Kangadze cut through the visitors' defence to net a third and put some gloss on the scoreline.

Second-placed Black Rhinos rebounded from the midweek loss at How Mine to beat Yadah FC 1-0 at Morris Depot. Yadah had done well to match the army side going into last 15 minutes, but any hopes of avoiding a fifth defeat in six matches evaporated when Lincoln Samarayi took advantage of a mix-up between goalkeeper Tafadzwa Dube and substitute Willard Kalongonda to net the winner.

After getting just one point in their last four matches, Harare City beat Bantu Rovers 2-0 for only their second win in 11. Martin Vengesai opened the scoring on 58 minutes and substitute Grey Kufandada made victory certain late on as new coach Philani Dube registered his first win in charge of the ambitious Harare side.

Elsewhere, Lloyd Chitembwe bemoaned the mounting injuries in his camp as a depleted CAPS United slumped to a 1-1 draw at Triangle. Kudzanai Nyamupfukudza, playing in an unfamiliar right-back position, put CAPS ahead on 65 minutes, but Triangle hit back immediately through Simba Makoni.

Chicken Inn also registered a welcome win, with former TP Mazembe striker Darryl Nyandoro netting the only goal of the match after 73 minutes to subdue a stubborn Shabanie Mine.