Ngezi's perfect start ends while Highlanders draw

Zimbabwean football fans cheer on their team Aaron Ufumeli/EPA

David Temwanjira grabbed a last-gasp equaliser as Shabanie Mine ended the only remaining 100 percent record in the Zimbabwe Premier Soccer League by holding log leaders Ngezi Platinum to a 1-1 draw on Sunday.

Ngezi had gone to Mandava Stadium heavily tipped to make it six wins in a row following a flying start to the new campaign, and they looked the part early on as Terrence Dzukamanja put them ahead in the 37th minute after converting a Michael Charamba cross.

Tonderai Ndiraya's troops then missed several good chances and they would be made to pay dearly, with the league's leading marksman Temwanjira heading home the equaliser right at the death to end the visitors' perfect record.

It was the first goal Ngezi goalkeeper Donovan Bernard had conceded this term, and the result saw the top-flight upstarts surrendering pole position to champions FC Platinum, who had beaten Harare City 3-1 on Saturday.

Three second-half goals from veteran Mkhokeli Dube, Edwin Madhananga and Rodwell Chinyengetere saw Platinum hand a first defeat of the campaign to City, who replied through a Raymond Uchena header.

Platinum and Ngezi are now tied on 16 points after match-day six, with the former enjoying a superior goal-difference.

Meanwhile, the blockbuster Bulawayo derby pitting Highlanders and Chicken Inn against each other lived up to its billing at Barbourfileds Stadium as the two giants pummelled each other non-stop before settling for a 2-2 draw.

Midfielder Brian Banda put Bosso ahead a minute before the break with a brilliant volley, only for Innocent Mucheneka to fashion a response for Chicken Inn moments after the restart.

Highlanders seized the lead again on the hour-mark through Gabriel Nyoni after a Banda assist, but it was a former employee who denied them a famous win, with Simon Munawa stepping forward to halt the Bosso party with an equaliser on 64 minutes.

The stalemate left Highlanders in third place with 14 points, while the Game Corks are two points behind in fourth.

There was drama in Harare as stricken giants Dynamos needed to come from behind to salvage a 1-1 draw against 10-men Yadah FC at Rufaro Stadium.

Leeroy Mavhunga struck early in the first half to leave Dynamos starring at the scary prospect of a fourth defeat in six matches, but new boy Kuda Kumwala saved the day with a leveller 15 minutes from time.

As is often the case when Dynamos are in town these days, the match was not without incident, with police accidentally discharging a teargas canister during the half-time break to torch some ugly protests from fans.

Yadah ended the match one man short following the expulsion of captain Jimmy Dzingai for throwing missiles back into the crowd.

Dynamos remain second-bottom with three points after a return of three draws and three defeats in possibly the worst ever start to a season by the 21-time champions.

Elsewhere, Triangle cooked up a shocker after downing former champions CAPS United 2-1 at Gibbo Stadium to end another unbeaten run in the top-flight.

A Joel Ngodzo penalty late in the second-half had cancelled out Trevor Mavhunga's 52nd-minute opener, but just as CAPS thought they had done enough rescue a point, Triangle forward Lameck Nhamo netted a late winner.


Saturday: Mutare City 1 Bulawayo Chiefs 0, FC Platinum 3 Harare City 1, Herentals 2 Bulawayo City 1, Nichrut 1 ZPC Kariba 1

Sunday: Dynamos 1 Yadah FC 1, Chicken Inn 2 Highlanders 2, Triangle 2 CAPS United 1, Shabanie Mine 1 Ngezi Platinum 1